Dallas Therapy Collective
Chrissy Alvarez, LPC
Psychotherapy with adults and teens 13+
$175/50-minute session, BCBS (expected soon!)
Therapy for Teens (13+)
Does this sound like you?
- You struggle to remember a time when you were happy and felt okay.
- Hopelessness is one of the only things you feel. Everything else is numb.
- You feel trapped by your traumatic experiences.
- Your body does not feel like your own. Instead, you seem to be watching your own life pass by while you are disconnected from it.
- You have difficulty connecting with others because of how you have been hurt in the past.
- You find yourself worrying that you may never trust yourself or anyone else again.
- You find yourself being afraid to show others the true you. You may also fear being too much or too difficult for people to be around.
- This might not be the first (or second, or third, or fourth) time that you have tried therapy. Maybe you feel broken beyond repair.
You feel stuck, but you are already building your way out. The fact that you are here, looking for therapy options, is a significant step.
Can Therapy Help?
What if it were possible to regain control of your life? The goal of therapy is for you to experience empowerment, safety, freedom, and self-acceptance. You can learn to respond to life’s many challenges with healthy coping mechanisms and self-compassion.
Therapy is a safe space to validate your pain and grief from past experiences. As your therapist, I will come alongside you on a personal journey toward discovering your authentic self. My job is to be an empathetic listener that creates a supportive environment for you to process your thoughts and emotions in a non-judgmental space. We can work together to figure out what pace and specific goals would best support your therapy journey. You can discover a life beyond the impacts of trauma on your body and mind.
How I can help…
I specialize in complex and religious trauma recovery. My other counseling specialties include LGBTQ+ experiences, dissociative disorders, depression, self-harm, suicidal ideation, substance use, and anxiety. I enjoy working with neurodivergent and LGTBQ+ clients, but anyone is welcome to work with me on their therapy journey.
My approach to therapy is founded on a desire to understand your past experiences and help you process how these memories affect you in the present, emotionally and physically. I use a model called TIST (Trauma Informed Stabilization Therapy, by Janina Fisher) to help create a sense of calm within yourself so you can work through your past experiences safely. I combine this model with person-centered and existential counseling theories to help you discover your most authentic self.
Together, we will process the triggers you experience and explore alternative responses to unwanted thoughts and behaviors. Through this knowledge, I hope to empower you as you increase your sense of self-worth, gain new coping skills, and feel more confident in your ability to respond when challenges arise. As you learn more about your authentic self, we can establish new patterns that work for you as alternatives to unwanted thoughts and behaviors. You are in control of your therapy journey, so I won’t pressure you to make changes that you aren’t completely on board with. During your healing journey, it is important to have a connection with your therapist (and it’s okay if that’s not me!).
If you are ready to start your therapy journey, feel free to email me a description of what you would like to address. I look forward to hearing from you!
When I’m not at work…
I love writing and playing music, fixing my car, and thinking deeply about random topics. When I am trying to relax, I enjoy playing video games and finding a good TV series to watch with my partner. I also enjoy spending time with my playful black cat, Nox, and my partner’s sassy gray cat, MacKenna.
- Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Texas A&M University – Commerce
- Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology, Texas A&M University
- Licensed Professional Counselor (Texas, #87985)
My Full Specialties Include:
- Childhood trauma
- Spiritual/religious abuse
- Life transitions (career, family, etc.)
- Identity exploration
- Family of origin issues